__________________________________________________________________________

WE DON'T COMB CHICKENS HERE - WE COOK 'EM!

__________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Stealth, Theft, Boom Boxes and Talk Radio

For the first time since I began this blog, I managed to find a way to pull in WRCG’s signal and listened to their morning call-in show with Robbie Watson. What it eventually required to snag their broadcast was a bit of stealth (sneaking into one of my kids’ rooms) and some petty theft (I lifted a boom box). Anyway, I remember Ms. Watson from her days as a sports reporter at a local TV station and some of the times I saw her at CSU softball games so… I thought I’d eavesdrop on her radio rant.

Now, before I get into the meat of the post regarding the show, I’d like to suggest that WRCG could maybe turn their antenna just a tad towards Lee County, Alabama because aside from possibly making it easier to listen to their talk radio shows, they also carry my college football team of choice and THAT season is quickly approaching! Oh, and on a side note… the WRCG website looks like a building that got forgotten halfway through construction… some of the pages don’t do much of anything, but I did add a link to it here on the Sin City blogsite.

Anyway, back to the show. Robbie is very good in this format, allowing even those she disagrees with the chance to speak. In one particular case, she had a caller who was all broken up over the trial and conviction of Edgar Ray Killen… the former Klan member who arranged the murder of the three students back in medieval Mississippi. After she let this guy cry a bit how it had been too many years to stir up problems over such a minor incident, she let him have it and then politely disconnected him. My guess is that this fellah was lucky she couldn’t reach through the phone line and do any worse than that…

All in all, I was satisfied that her show was more than fair and balanced but had to leave it about 20 minutes before it ended due to a looming dentist appointment. If I can manage to purloin the radio from my younguns again in the morning, I’ll probably tune in again.

Nice job, Robbie!